Thursday, August 28, 2008

..Chewy, yummy Goodness..

Wherever you are... whichever country you reside in, we all have fond childhood memories with, TAFFY. Chewy texture, fruity flavoured and extremely yummy, its no wonder we crave to have some every now and then. I remember when I was 6 years old, I was at my cousins house in Shah Alam and we were both given some taffy. Being the excited, greedy little pig that I was (or should i say 'am'), I stuffed everything into my mouth and Lo and Behold - I got SICK. Yup, I threw up, Had tummy problems and eventually was banned from eating candies for a rather long time! But still, it hasnt stopped me, and now that I am much much older to make my own decisons (in this case, unbanning me from being banned), I decided to make my own taffy! My own! I can make it at anytime and when ever I feel like having some yummy chewy goodness! LOL.

Anyway, that is just what I did (I had RM15 worth of Taffies ordered) and in fact I feel its yummier than the factory made ones, but then again, I could just be really biased. :p

Pictures, pictures, pictures. :)


This is the Orange flavoured taffy that I just started to pull. When you make taffy, it has to be pulled and stretched. This is often the best part of making Taffy - the worst is washing up! :) Back then (early 50s), there used to be taffy-pull parties where teenagers would gather in someones house, and make taffy. When it is ready to be stretched and pulled, they will get into groups of two, usually male and female, and start pulling and stretching. They will then shape it and either present it to their partners or take it home as party favours. This house parties was a favourite form of entertainment. (They had no TV back then! Give them a break guys!)

Mango flavoured.. hehe. I just love the way it looks, feel and smells.. I was so tempted to just pop the whole thing in my mouth.. but then flashbacks of when I was 6 yrs old came to mind and I made a smart choice by deciding against it. :)

When it has been pulled till the colour changes to a nice opaque colour and the texture gets firmer and harder, the taffy is ready to be rolled into long ropes and snipped into bite sized bits.


I could not find any wax paper, so I wrapped it in my baking sheet. Which worked just fine. These taffies have a tendency to stick to just about anything, so the best thing to do is wrap them up in either wax paper or baking sheets as its the only thing they don't stick to.


I decided to be creative. So I created my own fusion of flavour and here is a nice long rope of Mango and Orange Twist... I call it 'Tequila Sunrise'. (What? I think its original! ;P)



Hubby came home, and could not stop popping this delightful treat into his mouth! I had to literally 'pull' him away!

These taffies are sold for RM5 for single flavours (120g) and RM8 for fusion flavours (120g)

Flavours available;

Single flavours - Mango, Orange, Strawberry, Grape, Pineapple, Banana, Lemon, Blueberry*, Watermelon*, Cherry*, Raspberry*

* Flavours subject to availabilty

Fusion Flavours - Tequila Sunrise (Mango/Orange), Malibu (Pineapple/Mango), Pink Lady (Orange/Watermelon/Lemon), Blue Hawaii (Grape/Blueberry/Orange), Bananarita (Bananna/Pineapple/Strawberry)

**Orders must be made 1 week in advance. No delivery. For more details, you can email me at a.manuel86@gmail.com.

Next up is going to be my Marshmallow Fudge Popsicles - Do stay tuned for that. Till then, take care and God bless!

No comments: